Monday, May 31, 2010

Shift in Perception & Standing up for ME

I am very proud of myself. I'm sitting here with ease, bare feet flat on the carpet, sensing that in myself. My tendency is to sit with my chest collapsed and I'm not. My body is in movement. I just had an interesting shift in an interaction.

A new semester started; another group project assigned. We have discussion board areas we can use online to interact with our group members. We are in the process of deciding what kind of environmental advocacy project to do. Our short in-person meeting was going in circles so we planned to discuss online via the forum. I posted my idea a couple days ago. I checked back today and found a few posts from one group member. He said a few things that bothered me while also proposing his own idea. It was all sort of integrated. In the past I may have just let it go. I didn't.

I started my response with I appreciate what you are saying... AND then I stood up for ME! I spoke my truth and it feels great. I am not intimidated because you are probably 30 years older than me. I will not let you talk down to me. I won't let you discourage me. We are equals.

It was really easy.

No comments: