Monday, March 22, 2010

My Rainy Day Orchestra

I wrote this last week when the rain was really coming down and the wind was howling. We lost power for about 5 hours. It was a wonderful 5 hours. I posted it to my blog. I read it again this evening and thought some of you might like to read it, too.


The house was blissfully peaceful when the power went out during the storm yesterday. No electronic noises. Julie was at work. My parents decided to take a nap. No lights.

The tick-tock of the school house clock in the hallway was the only sound inside the house that I could hear. The swinging of the pendulum is like an inverted ticker on an old fashioned metronome. I opened the blinds in my room and lay on my bed.

I closed my eyes.
I closed my eyes and listened.
I closed my eyes and listened and watched a glorious nature ballet.

Winds at many speeds rustled through the different varieties of trees outside my windows. The wind sang its own song in the sky. The wind spinning just like the human voice. Branches brushed the siding of the house. Rain sputtered against the screen of my windows. Rain hit the glass of my window without a screen. Rain spit against the metal bilco doors beneath my windows. Rain came in mist, large drops, sheets of water, and sometimes a steady fall.

The combination of sounds always new and exciting. A symphony of nature. I could see twirling trees in the wind. Dancing willow people allowing the rain to wash over them, being free in movement, spirit, and heart.

No comments: